Wednesday, January 6, 2010

YAY

Things are so much better now! I went to mother house for my orientation and immediately met a girl named Timyra. She just got here and is traveling alone also. We got a room together at Baptist Mission. It's so wonderful!!! It's right by mother house and is a sanctuary in the city. It is gated and has gardens and it's just overall so great. It's filled with volunteers and especially long term volunteers. There are several people staying here for three months or more. Wow. Timyra will be here for a month. She is from Madison, Wisconsin and has been an absolute Godsend.

At the orientation we learned about the different homes the missionaries of charity have within the city. I will be working at Shishu Bhavan. I am going to be in a classroom with toddlers who are orphans but otherwise in good health. They do not have mental or physical disabilities. There are several other homes for children with medical and developmental issues. There is also Kalighat, which is the home for the destitute and dying.

Timyra and I took a rickshaw to Sudder street today and I think I was officially having fun for the first time. I was able to appreciate the streets and the rich Indian culture. Sudder street is somewhat scary because people constantly hound you for money. I wish someone had told me Sudder street was scary beforehand so it wasn't the first place I came! It's okay to be here during the day, but I'm glad I don't have to stay here at night anymore.

At the orientation we learned that we are really not supposed to give money to the beggars, and especially not the children. The beggars are actually part of a mafia-type organized crime, and they answer to someone. It's just like Slumdog Millionaire. The children are taught what to do and say and are usually "owned" by some type of gang member. They are taught that physical affection such as hugs and kisses will get them money. Women will come up to me with a baby and an empty bottle. Apparently, these are not usually even their children but are rented out for a day. Indians are very upset that this goes on in their city and don't appreciate it when Westerners help the cycle continue by giving money.

1 comment:

  1. Your journey these last few days has been an incredible one!! You persevered through some difficult times and finally got to the reason you are there! The children at Shishu Bhavan are lucky to have you, as you are fortunate to be able to help them. I am EXTREMELY grateful for the Baptist Mission and the safe haven it provides at night. I know I'll certainly sleep better!!

    I love you and am so happy for you to have this experience.
    May God bless and keep you, may he make his face shine upon you, and all those you are with!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete