Tuesday, January 19, 2010

joy in suffering

I am going to have to be leaving Kolkata a few days earlier than planned. I have been fighting Typhoid Fever for several days now, and I've decided the best plan of action is to spend these last days recovering at home. The past two and a half weeks have undeniably been the hardest of my life, but also the most fruitful. I have learned more in a relatively short period of time than I thought possible. Up until now, my relationship with God has been largely dependent on my circumstances. I have not suffered well for God or with God. In Kolkata, I learned that suffering is an important part of the sanctification process. When I suffer here, I feel the Lord here with me, guiding me, and encouraging me. I called out for his help and guidance, instead of trying to do things on my own. I didn't do this because I was suddenly enlightened, I did this because here I had no other options. Everything on this earth that I've come to know and rely on was taken from me: my physical health, my family and loved ones, my country, physical and emotional comfort, and many of the other good things God has given me that I make into idols. The next 36 hours are going to be extremely difficult, but I now realize that challenges really do present great opportunity. All these things I have been taught for so long, and I thought I understood, are finally becoming an internalized reality. I want to celebrate and praise God for every little victory between now and the time I see my parents in the airport. But I want to praise Him in the suffering and waiting as well. The latter is certainly the greater challenge. I feel that I am going home better equipped to do the work God has called me to do in St. Louis. I no longer want to live in a state of worry or uncertainty about the future. I want to trust in His perfect plan. Where I am right now is exactly where I am supposed to be, and I know that the Lord must have great confidence in me to do His work since he has placed me right here, right now.

2 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers as you travel for many hours while feeling sick. May God give you peace and rest on the way and speedy healing on your return. Truly the time of suffering teaches so much to our souls that can't be grasped in comfort and ease. We've learned so much from our own season of grief, and God came alongside us in precious ways that we would never trade. May your journey be blessed with a deep sense of the Lord's presence and tender loving care! Let us know how you're doing, while you are resting in the palm of God's hands! Love in Jesus, Mary Kay

    ReplyDelete